About the band.
The whole audience rose to greet them when they came to the stage of “Eurovision-2010” national final. As young people, famous musicians and respectable producers watched the performance of this unique band they were surprised to discover a new name in the Russian show business “Buranovskie Babushki” (Grannies from Buranovo).
The distinctive character and honesty of the singers instantly conquered hearts of Russian audience. It took a lot of courage for grannies (who are over seventy) to come to Moscow and perform in front of a huge TV audience. The following morning the Internet was full of messages about grannies from an unknown Udmurt village of Buranovo who took the third place in the Russian national finals of the “Eurovision”.
Building of the church
G. E. Vereshchagin a well-known pedagogue, anthropologists and a founder of the Udmurt literature worked as a priest in the Church of Trinity. Unfortunately its building was not preserved to our days.
The stone Church of Trinity is situated in the village of Buranovo. It was built in 1865 on the money earned as a capital interest and donated by the honorary citizen O. G. Chernov. It contains three altars dedicated to the saint Trinity, saint Archangel Michael and saint prophet Ilia. The church is staffed by the priest deacon and two lectors. One of the lectors uses public housing, others have private houses.— «News of the Vytskaya diocese», 1873
According to the stories told by the long-term residents during religious holidays peasants came to the place not far from the church and conducted rich country fairs. The people came dressed in their best clothes and participated in brisk trade. The church had two domes. The smaller one wasn`t completed. There were trees around the church. There was a small lake in two hundred metres from the church.
«His eminence Vladimir informs priest Grigoriy Vereshchagin who currently occupies position of the deacon in the village of Buranovo that according to the decision made by the diocese authorities on the 24 of April he should be appointed to the position of the priest in the same village of Buranovo».
— Archive entry 245, list 2, 1479; 3 of may of the year 1901
The parish in the village of Buranovo was opened in accordance with the decision made by the diocese authorities on the 1 of July of the year 1860. It included villages which were part of the Kozlovo parish before. In 1870 the parish included: the village of Buranovo, and smaller villages of Egorovo, Sundukovo, Bodino, Jagan, Chutojmon and the newly established settlement of Nikolskiy. At first the church services were conducted in a preaching-house which was consecrated on the 14 of September of the year 1860. The parish patronage was established according to the decision made by the Vytskaya consistory on the 28 of October of the year 1869. The groundbreaking ceremony for the new stone church was conducted on the 18 of May of the year 1913 in place of an old foundation. There is no information on whether the building of the church was finished in the archives of the Udmurt Republic. John of Kronstadt, who was a very influential figure in the Russian Orthodoxy of the XX century, sent money to Buranovo. Vereshchagin who saw a poor state of the church wrote a letter to one of the most popular preachers in Russia. The latter responded to this call for help coming from a rural priest by sending a thousand rubles. This is the only known case in Udmurtia.
The fundraising for the rebuilding and restoration of the old stone Church of Saint Trinity was started in the August of 2010 during the celebration of the village`s 300 anniversary. The fundraising was initiated by the members of folk band “Buranovskie Babushki” (participants of the «Eurovision-2012»). The money earned by the concerts and even prize money won on the «Who wants to be a millionaire» TV-show are spent on the restoration of the church.
The village of Buranovo
Buranovo is a big village in Udmurtia which is situated 30 kilometres from Izhevsk. There were 658 living in a village on the 1 of January 2011.
Просмотреть увеличенную карту
Elder Udmurt residents of Buranovo tell the following legend about how the village was founded. In the times the legend is set the place of the village was occupied by a thick forest which was teeming with wild animals big and small. Elders believed that their ancestors were from the village of Sizevo which is in the Zavialovo volost` (district). The village was overcrowded and so a few men banded together and told their fellow villagers that they were going to leave.
First of all they went to a pesytai (respected man) and asked him which way should they go. This man who was a healer read their fortunes and answered that they should go to where Buranovo is now. People who wanted to live in a new place gathered in a Badzym kua (pagan shrine) and invited a keeper of this place. The people made a sacrifice, prayed and left the shrine. They packed their pesterychs (travelling bags) with food and all the necessary things and soon left the village following healer`s advice.
«The place still exists. It is a monument of the older times in Buranovo. Nowadays it looks like a small round forest which can be seen from afar, almost from the kitchen garden of Sarapulla. Nobody dares to cut those trees out of fear to be punished by an evil Keremet»
Origins of the name
Some historians of the past tried to explain the origins of the village name in the following way: «The thick forests situated near the head of Poroshur river were cut and after that prevailing winds which followed the flow of the river started causing frequent snowstorms (“Buran” is Russian word for snowstorm or blizzard)». And that is allegedly a source of the village`s name – Buranovo.
The villagers themselves call the river Brangurtshur and the inhabitants of Puro-Mozhga call it Puroshur. In old times Sarapulka was accessible for floating. It was possible to float wood to Sarapula. That`s way local Udmurts called it “Pur kelyan shur” (sending the rafts down the river) and later “Puroshur”.
Самобытность и искренность испол- нительниц покорили российскую публику с первого взгляда. Для зрителей стало неожиданностью, что бабушки
Village Buranovo on the map